This story is part of the Elven Chronicles
It was
a dark night in the dragon’s land Arkegia, when a traveler rode into the
southernmost town of Hilguard. The man wore a cloak to hide a feature that
would most certainly get him killed. His elfish ears! Elves were hated here in
Arkegia due to a war with the Queendom of Rivia, the home of the elves.
Who was
this man? What is he doing here of all places? Why is he risking his life? Let’s
find out!
“How
much longer is it Aidan? My legs can’t hold me up any longer.” Whined my good
for nothing apprentice Tiflar.
“Well
maybe if you would practice your training like I suggested earlier this year
you’d be stronger.” I replied running my hands through my bright blonde hair. “Besides
we are almost to Hilguard. That unsuspecting Baron won’t know what hit him; till
my knife is already across his throat.”
“Speaking
of which do you know where our target will be?” Tiflar asked trying to keep the
conversation going.
“At his
castle, top floor.” I said “We had one of his elven slaves smuggle us details.”
“We
need a better plan than what we’ve got.” Tiflar suggested hoping I’d change my
mind about sending him in as a distraction.
“Yeah
and miss seeing your face when those guards realize your elven. Not a chance.”
I laughed and we continued the rest of the walk in silence.
“Finally!”
Tiflar exclaimed as he saw the great stone wall of Hilguard, the closest city
to Rivia. “That slave trading bastard will get his.”
“We
will leave that up to the queen Tiflar. We are here to put there leader in a
grave.” I replied shaking my head. The boy is eager but he has his priorities
mixed up. He’s just lucky he’s the queen’s nephew or he would never be my
apprentice.
“You
mean Aunt Lelin. She will tear this place to the ground.”
“We don’t
worry about that stuff Tiflar! We follow orders without thought of what our
superiors will do once we succeed.” I yelled getting annoyed at this
conversation. We reached the gate and the guard waved for it to be opened.
Funny you’d think being so close to Rivia they’d tighten their security.
“Tiflar.”
I whispered. “Change of plans you watch the entrance to the castle, make sure there’s
no funny business. This doesn’t seem right.”
“How
will I alert you?”
“Whistle
twice as loud as you can. Got it!” He shook his head and I dashed off toward a
nearby house.
There
was a narrow alleyway between two of the houses which I used to conceal myself
as I climbed up to the roof. “If there is one flaw in the human’s city plans,
it’s that all the houses are close enough together to use as a walkway to the
castle.” I began to run and jump from rooftop to rooftop which I had down many
times.
It was
a short trip to the castle, so I was there in no time. I whistled signaling the
slave who’d sent the letter to open the window. After a few moments the window
opened and I saw a male teenage elf standing there. I jumped through the window
into the castle and rolled on the stone floor to break my fall.
“Glad
you’ve made it.” He whispered. “I need to return to my duties so hurry. Oh and
please don’t get caught.” He seemed anxious about something so I preceded extra
carefully toward the large stone staircase to my right. It was dark so I could
hardly see but I made out three shadows reaching the top of the stairs.
“Think
that elf assassin will be here for the Baron tonight.” One of them said.
“That’s
what our intel said.” Another said. I felt anger boiling. I’d been ratted out
by a no good lesser born elf. No wonder he was a slave.
I
quietly climbed the steps till I reached the top then proceeded to the right
where the master bedroom is. I peeked through the keyhole and found the target
sleeping. “At least he gave us the real description. Stupid slave elves. Never
trust them.” I muttered to myself as I attempted to turn the knob. “Haha cocky
one aren’t we.” It was unlocked. I turned the handle and drew my dagger from my
cloak.
“FOR
RIVIA!” I shouted as I drove the dagger into his throat. I heard commotion from
outside the room and jumped out of the window grabbing onto the ledge. I looked
behind me and saw a rather tall building with an open window directly behind
me. I jumped to the ledge of the open window and climbed in.
I was
in some kind of tavern in one of the empty rooms. “Good job Aidan. You did a
very good job.” I said to myself and exited the small tavern room. Quickly I
exited the tavern and quickly spotted Tiflar standing outside staring at the
castle doors.
“Psst
Tiflar.” I said getting his attention immediately.
“Aidan
good to see you alive and well!” He said embracing me.
“I’m
alive yes, but I won’t be well until we are far away from this wretched town.”
I spat on the ground and we made our way toward the gate. There was only one
guard manning the gate mechanism and he appeared to be alerted to the
assassination.
“Halt
by order of the Baron no one is . . .” That’s all he got out before I stabbed
him in the throat and opened the gate.
“Run
now.” I said and we ran far from the city into the luscious forests of Rivia.
“Get
used to the blood Tiflar.” I said after catching my breath. “It’s your turn
next time.”
TO BE CONTINUED
No comments:
Post a Comment